- C. Gordon Bell is generally credited with the original design of the
PDP-8. He was also involved with recommending what became the
PDP-11 when that design was competing with the design that probably
became the NOVA, and as vice president of research, he oversaw the
development of the DEC VAX family.
- Alan Kotok worked with Bell in working up the original specifications
of the PDP-8.
- Ben Gurley designed most of the big DEC machines, starting with the
PDP-1. The actual design work on the -8, however, was done by Ed
deCastro, who later founded Data General to build the Nova.
- Ken Olson ran DEC from the beginning.
- Ed Yourdon hacked up the PAL III assembler for the -8, based on PAL
II. He later became well known as a programming methodology guru.
- Charles Lasner developed P?S/8, and he is widely known as the grand old
man of the movement to preserve these historic machines.
- Wesley Clark developed the LINC while working at Lincoln Labs; this
was the first 12-bit minicomputer built with DEC parts.
- Mary Allen Wilkes Clark developed the early LAP programs for the LINC.
- Douglas W. Jones wrote the PDP-8 FAQ, from which the introductory "What
is a PDP" is unabashedly cribbed.
Most of my [MMcC] direct knowledge is of the earlier -11's and
gets real hazy around the 11/5x - 11/9x boxes. However, the
following contributors have helped fill in the gaps here and
elsewhere in PDP-11 history, and otherwise helped with the
- Mike McCrohan <mccrohan @ iol.ie>
- Tony Duell <ARD @ SIVA.BRIS.AC.UK>
- Ron Natalie <ron @ sensor.com>
- Johnny Billquist <bqt @ Update.UU.SE>
- Terry Kennedy <terry @ spcvxb.spc.edu> (Please include ``PDP-11''
in the subject line)
- Paul Repacholi <zrepachol @ cc.curtin.edu.au>
- Thor Lancelot Simon <tls @ rek.tjls.com>
- John Holden <johnh @ psych.usyd.edu.au>
- Mike Yankus <MIKE_YANKUS @ STERLING.COM>
- Don Stokes <don @ zl2tnm.gen.nz>
- David W. Peascoe <dwp @ po.CWRU.Edu>
- Robert Herndon <rmjh @ hotmail.com>
- Ronald Copley <copley1 @ marshall.edu>
- Dworkin Loki Müller <dworkin @ village.org>
- Bob Kaplow, current email address unknown
- Merton C. Crockett <mcc @ wlv.iipo.gtesc.com>
- Brian McCarthy, current email address unknown
- Hans-Joachim Poehls, current email address unknown
- Megan Gentry <mbg @ world.std.com>, <gentry @ zk3.dec.com>.
Web page http://world.std.com/~mbg/
- Bernd Ulmann <ulmann @ fafner.zdv.uni-mainz.de>
- Roger N Wallace <rwallace @ world.std.com>
- Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry @ digital.dp.ua>
- Paul Koning <ni1d @ arrl.net>
- Stuart Brook <s_brook @ attcanada.ca>
- Ed Doran <doran @ megsinet.net>
- Jerome Fine <jhfine @ idirect.com>
- Ken Kirkby <ken @ terrigal.net.au>
- Wayne Devereux <devco @ iafrica.com>
- Varga Akos Endre <hamster @ telnet.hu>
- Alexander Lunev <Alexander.Lunev @ Russia.Sun.COM>
- John Shelton <jlshelton @ mindspring.com>
- Robert Boers <robert.boers @ sri-gva.ch>
- Oleg I. KHOVAYKO <olegh @ gold.nlm.nih.gov>
- Sergey Svishchev <svs @ ropnet.ru>
- Alexey Chupahin <achupahi @ uic.rsu.ru>
- Philip Hull <phull @ central-systems.co.uk>
- Joe Smith <jms @ inwap.com>
- Eric Smith <eric @ brouhaha.com>
- Will Kranz <w_kranz @ conknet.com>
Table of Contents